Your Music and People
- The way you present your art, and what people know about it, completely changes how they perceive it.
- It’s actually impossible to fail if your only mission was to see what happens!
“This is a test. This is only a test.” There is no downside. Try everything!
- If you’re feeling stuck with marketing, give yourself restrictions. Whenever you’re feeling uninspired or unmotivated, use creative restrictions to set you free.
- Once something is explained, it stops captivating your curiosity.
- The essence of marketing is looking at everything from the other person’s point of view.
- Thinking of everything from the other person’s point of view is one of the best things you can do in life.
- When promoting, make sure you’re not barking.
- When things aren’t working, be smarter, not louder.
- Even if it starts professional, get personal as soon as possible. Be a friend. That’s how things are done.
- Give give give, and sometimes you will receive.
- So don’t be afraid to ask for favors. People like doing favors!
- Get presents for the people you’ve met that are probably under-appreciated. Don’t waste gifts on the high-power people. They already receive too many.
- You have to make your own success first, before you ask the industry for help.
- You can do anything, but you can’t do everything.
- For a career to be sustainable, it has to be profitable.
- Don’t impress people with how much you spend. Impress people with how little you spend.
- Call the destination, and ask for directions.
- The only thing stopping you from great success is yourself.
- Be like a film director. It’s your vision. You decide how things are done.
- If you’re not happy with the way things are, don’t just complain. Go make things how they should be.
- Have the confidence to find your niche, define who you are, then declare it again and again and again and again. If you do it persistently enough, you will own that niche. People will not be able to imagine that niche without you.
- Be identifiable, so that people who want you can find you in the crowd.
- You aren’t pulled to success by destiny. You’re lifted there by those around you. So acknowledge their contribution, and bring them along for the ride.
- Money is nothing more than a neutral exchange of value. If people give you money, it’s proof that you’re giving them something valuable in return.
- Pour your personality and philosophy into the way you do business.
- When you’re offering something for free, don’t forget that there are lots of people that like to pay! Appeal to this side of people, giving them a reason to pay that feels good.
- Never promote something until people can take action, or you might waste the one moment you had their attention.
- If it makes you jump into action, it’s good advice. If it makes you feel drained, sad, or lost, then it’s not for you.
- Whatever excites you, go do it.
Whatever drains you, stop doing it.